This is a unique twist on traditional curry, featuring the refreshing taste of watermelon. Perfect for a quick, exotic dinner.
- 1 large watermelon, cubed (about 1.5 kg)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- Cooked jasmine rice, for serving
- Preparation of Watermelon: Cut the watermelon into cubes, removing any seeds. Keep aside.
- Spice Blend: In a small bowl, mix together the ground cumin, paprika, salt, and black pepper.
- Cooking the Seeds: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Wait until they begin to pop, which should take about a minute.
- Sautéing Aromatics: Add the chopped green chilies, minced garlic, and grated ginger to the skillet. Sauté for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Incorporating Spices: Sprinkle the spice blend over the aromatics in the skillet. Stir well to combine and cook for another minute.
- Adding Watermelon: Gently add the watermelon cubes to the skillet. Stir gently to coat the watermelon in the spice mixture.
- Simmering: Reduce the heat to low and let the curry simmer for about 5-7 minutes. The watermelon should be heated through but still maintain some of its shapes.
- Final Touches: Remove from heat. Drizzle lime juice over the curry and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serving: Serve hot alongside jasmine rice for a delightful meal.
This watermelon curry offers a sweet and spicy flavor profile, making it a delightful and unconventional dish to enjoy.